GEHOT - Gifted Education and High Order Thinking: Improving Learning Outcomes for Every Students
This course aims to explore the meaning of ‘Gifted and Talented’; is this even a term we should be using? How might we identify such students and, very importantly, how can we support them emotionally?
This 3 module course will cover the following:
Module 1 Concepts of giftedness and characteristics of gifted students
· Evolution of the concept and definitions of giftedness.
· Commonly observed characteristics and behaviours associated with giftedness.
· Recognising the differences between gifted students and high achievers.
Module 2 Identifying gifted students
· Methods of identification.
· Importance of selecting a combination of identification measures that are inclusive of all students.
· Uses and constraints of some identification measures
Module 3 Caring as thinking
· Social and emotional characteristics and vulnerabilities associated with giftedness.
· Affective characteristics and their impact on cognitive advancement.
· Affective learning needs specific to areas of vulnerability.
· Learning activities to meet the affective learning needs of gifted students.