Teaching languages through compelling, comprehensible inputs and co-created stories
This 2 day in-person workshop, delivered by Dr. Liam Printer of The Motivated Classroom, provides an in-depth introduction to Comprehensible Input (CI) strategies, Teaching Proficiency through Reading and Storytelling (TPRS), teaching with co-created stories and other active learning techniques for your classroom.
Whilst the course also provides a brief overview of the theory and research behind fostering intrinsic motivation and teaching with a comprehensible inputs (CI) approach, it principally revolves around zero-prep, practical, classroom strategies designed to provide rich, compelling CI that you can implement right away.
At the end of the workshop, participants will have the tools and resources to try out the following techniques in their classrooms:
- Special person interviews
- Creating an invisible character
- Movie-Talk and Clip-Chat
- Building a co-created TPRS story (Day Two)
Comprehensible Input (CI), TPRS, languages, motivation, teaching
A key goal of this workshop is to provide participants with strategies and approaches that will raise engagement and motivation in your classes resulting in quicker acquisition of the language through intent listening and reading.
For parts of the two days, participants will be ‘students’ in Dr. Printer’s language class, acquiring a language naturally through the eyes of a learner using CI based approaches.
The 2-day, in-person workshop is aimed at both new and experienced language acquisition teachers of additional languages.
It is principally aimed at those teachers who want to learn more about teaching with Comprehensible Input (CI) and see it in action; as well as those who are new to CI or consider themselves 'Novice CI teachers'.
Dates & Times
Friday 26 and Saturday 27 April 2024
- 08:30 - 15:30 on both days
- Apero and optional evening meal on Friday 26 April.
Ecolint Institute, Campus des Nations - Geneva building (4th floor), Route des Morillons 15, Geneva.
The venue is well served by public transport from Geneva Cornavin train station. Buses F and 8 take you within a few steps of the school
- 430 CHF per person (full price)
- 395 CHF per person (reduced fee - Ecolint staff / early bird discount for patrons of the Motivated Classroom Podcast before 1st December 2023).
- The Reduced fee is also offered for those who are currently unemployed or in teacher training. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to make a request for this reduced rate.
What's included in the course fee
Included in the course fee:
- Two full days of in-person, professional development workshops with Dr. Liam Printer.
- A total of 14 hours face-to-face CPD points.
- Tea and coffee on both days.
- A Swiss wine and cheese apero reception after the course on the Friday.
- Lunch on both days.
- A certificate of attendance with hours stated for CPD points.
- Pre-course questionnaire analysis.
- Post-course e-mail support.
- Post-course Q&A video from Liam.
- All presentations, handouts and resources will be provided digitally.
Not included in the course fee:
- Travel and accommodation costs.
- The optional dinner out on Friday night.
If you are travelling from further afield and need overnight accommodation we recommend the following hotel -
There are also several Ibis hotels near by to choose from -
About the Speaker
Dr. Liam Printer is a published author and has been a teacher of English, French & Spanish in a variety of settings for over 16 years. He currently teaches Spanish at The International School of Lausanne in Switzerland where he is also the ‘Leader of Pedagogical Innovation’, focusing on bringing research into classroom practice. Liam has been teaching with a CI-based approach for over 9 years and has been invited to present on CI techniques and deliver the Keynote address at the Agen CI Conference in France, The Dynamic Language Learning Conference in The Netherlands as well as a number of CI conferences in the US. He has been invited as the Keynote speaker at a number of other leading International Language Learning conferences and he also lectures on the Post-graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) course with the University of Durham and the International School of Geneva. He completed his Doctorate on ‘the motivational pull of teaching languages through storytelling with CI’ at the University of Bath. Liam now hosts The Motivated Classroom podcast which has had over 340,000 downloads of 100+ episodes to date.
Website: Liam Printer
Ecolint Staff: Course registration procedure - please read this document